Have you heard of a Blessingway before? A Blessingway is a celebration of life & love, pregnancy & motherhood. It is evolved from a traditional Navajo ceremony that is concerned with healing, creation, harmony and peace.
The very first time I heard of a Blessingway, was when I was at a Belly Wrapping and Bengkung Binding 101 Class, that my girlfriend hosted in San Diego. I was absolutely in LOVE with the idea of it and knew that a Blessingway was what I wanted this time around for a “baby shower”.
What I adore most about the idea is that, it is an appreciation for the mama and it is to honor her, the bearer of the new life. The primary purpose of a Blessingway is to nourish, nurture, support and encourage the expectant mama while affirming that she WILL have a beautiful birth experience.
Unlike a traditional baby shower, which is focused on the baby, a Blessingway’s focuses on the mother as she prepares for a beautiful labor, childbirth and motherhood.
Four of my closest girlfriends, Amy Ramirez, Erika Boardbent, Alyssa Campenella of The A List and Kristen Dalton Wolfe of She Is More, put together the most amazing Blessingway for me. And I 100% believe that is why and how I delivered so beautifully and dare I say, “easily”.
Here’s Why a Blessingway is Exactly What I Needed:
- They Carefully Chose Who to Invite to the Intimate Afternoon Blessingway – In fact every special guest that could attend was actually a bridesmaid in my wedding! This was so special to me. I needed my girls!
- It Was Clear What The Afternoon Would Be Like– I believe that clarity helped to prepare the hearts of the special guests and mine too. An insert in the evite included a description that read: “Hi girlfriends, we can’t wait to see everyone! Unlike a traditional baby shower, which is focused primarily on the baby, tomorrow will focus a lot on Raquel as she prepares for labor, childbirth and becoming a mama of two. The purpose will be to nourish, nurture, support and encourage her, while also affirming that she will have a beautiful birth experience with Caden. So, come dressed comfy but photo worthy! Hehehe. We will be seating in a circle on the floor at times and it will be a very intimate and relaxed atmosphere.”
- They Planned & Executed Everything – Each gracious host had designated roles in making the afternoon a true delight! From having all of my favorite foods (even homemade donuts!) to having candles lit, soft background music playing, pillows and blankets for comfort, a fancy camera for memorable photos, flower crowns, homemade decorations and prayer leadership. It was a setup that was truly magical, seamless and comforting environment. There was nothing I had to do, other than be present and soak it all in.
- Thoughtful Details – They customized the Blessingway for me. They had a charm bracelet making area that each special guest could choose a charm to place on a bracelet that I would wear during delivery. (In which I did!) It was so powerful to hold the charm bracelet infused with their affirmations for me, during labor.
- Prepared Personal Letters to Mama & Baby – Each special guest wrote me a heartfelt, prayer filled, affirming letter. They read these aloud as we all sat in a circle on the floor. The truths they spoke over me, changed me for the better. They literally gave me life because what they shared was how they see me in The Spirit and they affirmed my capabilities of being an amazing, capable mama. Each letter was personal and laced with God’s word. I can not tell you just how sweet and moving they were and still are. They truly filled my love tank to overflow. I actually recorded them while they were speaking and it is still so powerful to listen to, especially now since Caden has been born.
- Still A Shower for Baby– Although the afternoon was focused on me, they still were so sweet in gifting Caden and I with gifts. Many traditional Blessingways do not do this.
Whether you’re a first time expectant mama or your pregnant with your second, third or sixth baby, a Blessingway is such a gift! Having faithful, sisters in Christ/besties praying over you and your baby is POWERFUL.
I truly believe it prepared me for labor and the next chapter of motherhood. Caden came in TWO pushes whereas I pushed for FOUR hours with Carter before they used a vacuum to pull him out!
God’s word makes us capable, strong, resilient, able, fearless, confident, assured and focused. Gather your closest besties together to throw a Blessingway for your expectant friend. You will literally change to course of her labor, delivery and motherhood path. And there is no better gift than that.
*All photos by my talented bestie, Alyssa Campanella of The A List*